Enter a search term above and press Enter to start the search. Press Esc to cancel.

Hunting

Ernst August of Hanover Arrested at Hunting Lodge

Ernst August of Hanover was arrested at his hunting lodge in Austria. Following his release, he must comply with strict conditions.

Editorial Team Wild beim Wild — 10 September 2020

Ernst August of Hanover was arrested on Monday evening (7 September 2020) at his hunting lodge in Austria. Although the German nobleman has been released, he is subject to certain conditions he must adhere to.

Welf Prince Ernst August of Hanover, 66, was arrested in Austria on Monday evening (7 September). This was confirmed by the Wels Regional Court. The reason: the nobleman is alleged to face charges of coercion, threats, and criminal damage. The Wels public prosecutor's office had ordered the prince's arrest, which was carried out on Monday. The scandal-ridden prince was held in custody for two days. He has now been released, but must comply with the conditions set by the judge.

According to the public prosecutor's office, the great-grandson of Germany's last Emperor Wilhelm II faces up to three years in prison. The presumption of innocence applies until a final conviction.

Arrested on Suspicion of Coercion and Dangerous Threats

A complaint has been filed against the Welf Prince by one of his employees. Ernst August of Hanover allegedly threatened her and her husband with sending a gang of thugs after them. Police were deployed on Monday on suspicion of «coercion». The official police press release states:«A 66-year-old man from the Gmunden district is accused of having repeatedly made dangerous verbal threats against a couple on 7 September 2020 between 3:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. In addition, the man is alleged to have smashed a window with a road sign.«As the 66-year-old had already attacked a police officer in July, officers wore body cameras to record the arrest, reports Gala.

Hobby hunter banned from returning to his hunting lodge

Ernst August is now free again, though he must comply with certain conditions. Among these is the requirement that the 66-year-old may no longer approach the employees he had threatened. In addition, he is prohibited from visiting the scene of the incident. A severe blow for the Welfenprinz, as the incident is said to have taken place in his own home. Ernst August von Hannover is therefore not permitted to enter his hunting lodge for the time being.

According to the newspaper «Österreich», his registered weapons have also been confiscated. Since the hobby hunter had come to negative attention on several occasions in recent months, weapons are said to have already been seized in July. Now, according to «Bild», the police are also said to have removed hunting knives and historical weapons from the property. 

Ernst August von Hannover repeatedly causes a stir

The German nobleman caused a sensation on several occasions in recent months. Following the attack on police, Ernst August von Hannover was briefly committed to a psychiatric facility. Just one week later, he made headlines again. Armed with a baseball bat, the husband of Caroline von Hannover, 63, is said to have driven to the Scharnstein police station and threatened officers there that he would beat them to death. 

More on the topic of hobby hunting: In our hunting dossier we compile fact checks, analyses, and background reports.

Support our work

Your donation helps protect animals and give them a voice.

Donate now